It’s finally Winter! One of the great things about winter, apart from snow, drinking tea and eating cookies, is those awesome Winter fruits like pomegranate. Pomegranate is such a lovely addition to salads, grains or desserts. It’s not too sweet and not too sour. Just perfectly balanced, which makes it extremely versatile. Not to forget it’s beautiful lush color! Those red jewels make everything so festive and special.
For this recipe I’ve tried to enhance pomegranate’s natural beauty. I’ve added ginger to bring in some spiciness and heat, and rosemary to add some earthiness. Overall, it’s a pretty simple, no-fuss recipe. And it only takes 15 minutes to make. It’s vegan and gluten free. And it just tastes heavenly with some sparkling water, ginger beer or tonic water. Or if you want a more adult version, try it with champagne or sparkling wine. So refreshing and lovely!
- 1 pomegranate
- juice of 2 oranges
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4cm fresh ginger
- 100g sugar
- Roll the pomegranate on your kitchen counter pressing down with your hands, until you feel the jewels inside loosening.
- In a medium bowl carefully open the pomegranate and collect the juice and the jewels. Press down onto the jewels with a cup to remove more juice.
- Pour juice into a small pot collecting the jewels in a strainer. Set aside.
- Add the orange juice, rosemary and thinly sliced ginger to the pot. Slowly heat over medium heat
- Add sugar and 50ml water and let sirup simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove rosemary and ginger and add sirup and reserved jewels to a clean glass bottle