Italian comfort food with a twist. This roasted pumpkin millet risotto plays with a traditional Italian dish and transforms it into something new.
- Prep Time: 15h
- Cook Time: 20h
- Total Time: 35h
- Serves: 4 people
- 750 grams hokkaido pumpkin
- 1 medium white onion (about 1 cup diced)
- cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 200 grams millet (1 cup)
- 125 millilitres dry white wine (1/2 cup)
- 750 millilitres vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 grams parmesan (1/3 cup grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 160 grams ricotta (about 2/3 cups)
- kosher salt & fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Half the hokkaido, remove seeds with a spoon and cut into 1,5cm pieces and transfer to a medium baking tin. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tbsp kosher salt and the leaves of 3-4 thyme sprigs. Mix until everything's evenly coated.
- Bake pumpkin at 200°C for 15-20 minutes. Until the edges are lightly charred and the pumpkin is cooked through.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, dice the onion and mince the garlic, and set aside. Rinse the millet in a colander under cool, running water. Heat the veggie stock over low heat.
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and the onion to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and 2-3 sprigs thyme and stir to combine.
- Add the millet and roast for another minute, stirring continuously. Deglaze with the white wine and let reduce for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the veggie stock and let simmer over medium low heat.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed add half of the remaining veggie stock and stir through. Add the rest of the stock and let cook for another 5-10 minutes. The millet will need about 20-25 minutes to be cooked through.
- While the risotto is cooking remove the pumpkin from the oven and set aside.
- Once the millet is done season with salt and pepper, add the grated parmesan and 1 tbsp butter and stir through.
- Pour millet over pumpkin and carefully stir through. Season to your liking and top with crumbled ricotta cheese and some fresh thyme. Serve and enjoy!