A perfectly soft, pillory sheet cake topped with a fresh mascarpone frosting and ripe cherries. The ultimate crowd-pleaser, perfect for any summer potluck or BBQ party. One-bowl batter that bakes up in 30 minutes, makes an easy no-fuss cake ready in a couple of hours (including cool-down time).
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 1h 50m
- Serves: 16 people
- Yield: 1 sheet cake
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup sunflower or similar neutral vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ground hazelnuts (meal)
- 2 1/4 cups whole spelt flour
- 4 tablespoons poppy seeds
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Frosting & Assembling
- 2 cups mascarpone
- 1 cup curd cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered coconut sugar
- juice of 1 organic lemon
- 2 cups fresh cherries
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit/180° Celsius and line a rectangular baking tray (13x9 inch) with parchment paper and lightly grease with a bit of oil.
- Beat the eggs for a couple of minutes with a handheld mixer or in your stand-up mixer. When they start getting fluffy slowly add the coconut sugar. Mix for another minute, or so, until fully incorporated. Slowly add oil, water and vanilla extract or sugar.
- Combine ground hazelnuts, spelt flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, soda and salt in a medium bowl and mix until combined. Add to the eggs, one cup at a time, and mix until just incorporated, but don’t overmix.
- Pour batter into your prepared baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
- Let cake cool completely (approx. 1 hour) before adding the frosting.
Frosting & Assembling
- Add mascarpone and curd cheese to a medium bowl and start mixing on medium with your hand-held mixer or in a stand mixer. Slowly add sugar and mix until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add lemon juice and set aside in the fridge until the cake has cooled completely.
- Wash cherries, remove stems and de-stone, if you like.
- Once the cake has cooled down completely transfer to a serving plate, if you like, top with the frosting and finish with the prepared cherries.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve, or up to 48 hours.