When the weather is slowly getting warmer there’s nothing better than a hearty yet light salad! This roasted broccoli & kale quinoa salad is exactly that: it’s satisfying and filling yet fresh and tangy. Also, it’s vegan and gluten-free. So, basically suitable for everyone! Make a big batch to eat over a couple of days or bring it along to the next potluck.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- 200 grams raw quinoa
- 1 medium-sized broccoli (about 500g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 bunch kale (about 8-10 20cm long leaves)
- 3 -4 sprigs spring onions
- 1 small handful roasted almonds, de-shelled (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (optional)
- 1 small pomegranate
Lemon Mustard Dressing
- 1 -2 organic lemons
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Estragon or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Prepare a baking sheet with (reusable) baking paper and set aside.
- Place the raw quinoa in a small-meshed sieve and rinse under running water. Place in a small-medium pot and cover with 500ml (2 cups) water. Bring to a boil and let cook uncovered for 10mins. Take off the heat, cover with a lid and let sit for another 5mins. Stir through with a fork.
- Meanwhile, divide the broccoli into bite-sized pieces (cut bigger ones into halves or quarters). Place on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Roast for 12mins at 200°C.
- Wash kale and remove hard stems. Tear into bite-sized pieces and massage one hand after the other until the leaves turn into a medium-dark green and feel soft. Place in a medium-sized salad bowl.
- Cut spring onions into rounds and chop almonds and chives (if using). Remove the pomegranate kernels from the pomegranate. Place in the salad bowl.
- Zest 1 lemon and place zest in the lemon bowl. Squeeze lemons and place juice in a small glass jar. Add the same amount olive oil and the remaining dressing ingredients and shake well.
- Add quinoa and broccoli in the salad bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well using your hands.
- Enjoy luke-warm or place in the fridge until using. Salad will keep well for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.