A golden-brown baked buttery loaf speckled with the most delicous wild garlic pesto. Perfect freshly baked bread to accomany your spring salad or creamy bowl of soup. If you don’t have wild garlic at hand you can alternatively use fresh basil, parsley or a mixture of herbs.
- Prep Time: 1h 30m
- Cook Time: 40m
- 250 millilitres almond milk, unsweetened
- 400 grams spelt flour (mixture of white & whole)
- 7 grams dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 40 grams olive oil, extra-virgin or neutral vegetable oil (e.g. rape seed oil), more for greasing
Wild Garlic Pesto
- 50 grams wild garlic leaves
- 40 grams walnuts or pine nuts
- 125 millilitres olive oil, extra-virgin
- zest & juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Slowly heat the almond milk until it's lukewarm. Make sure it is not hot!
- In a medium mixer bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add oil to lukewarm milk.
- Slowly pour milk into the dry ingredients, mixing on low with the dough hook attached. Knead until the dough is smooth, elastic and comes away from the sides (about 4-5 minutes), on medium speed.
- Grease the bowl lightly and rub some oil on the dough. Put in a warm, sunny spot and let dough rise for 1 hour (or until doubled in size and puffy).
- Meanwhile prepare the pesto: combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Season with more salt to your liking.
- Once the dough has doubled in size remove from the bowl onto a floured surface. Knead with your hands for 1-2 minutes. Roll into a large rectangle, about 20x30cm.
- Spread 6-8 tablespoons of the prepared pesto evenly over the dough. Roll into a log. Cut log into half lenghtwise and braid the two strands into one loaf.
- Line a loaf pan with some baking paper and carefully lift braided bread into the loaf pan (if log is too long simply tuck in the ends). Set aside in a warm, sunny spot and proof for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Bake babka in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
- Let cool entirely before cutting. Enjoy with some (vegan) butter, hummus or simply as it is.