Sunriped tomatoes, fresh zucchini, a high-quality or homemade basil pesto, and a super-easy galette crust! That’s all you need to make this light summer lunch or starter for you next dinner party. Serves 4-6 people as a starter or 2 as a main dish with a fresh side salad.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 1h 45m
- 1 cup cold vegan butter
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups ripe summer tomatoes
- 3 cups zucchini
- 4 tablespoons high-quality pesto
- sea salt & fresh pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Roughly cut the butter into pieces and place in your food processor together with the flour and salt. Pulse a couple of times to break up the butter and distribute evenly.
- Move flour/butter mixture into a medium bowl. Combine 1 tbsp applecider vinegar with 3 tbsps ice-cold water and add to the flour/butter mixture. Using a spatula or your hands quickly knead together into a ball of dough. Making sure not to overknead it! Pea-sized pieces of butter are perfectly fine and will make a crispy, buttery galette crust.
- Place dough into a container with lid or wrap in bees-wax paper and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days.
- Wash and cut tomatoes into slices, or halves if using cherry tomatoes. Wash and cut zucchini into 2-3mm slices. Make pesto, if making your own.
- Once dough is ready to use, pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Divide dough into two halves and place on a well-floured surface. Roll dough into two 22-25cm disks, approx. 3mm thick. Move to the prepared baking tray.
- Spoon 2 tbsp pesto into the middle of each galette and spread out, leaving a 5cm rim on each galette.
- Divide tomatoes and zucchini over the pesto and fold the dough over the filling. No need to be accurate here. A rustic look is what works best in a galette.
- Drizzle with some olive oil, kosher salt and fresh black pepper. Bake for 25-35mins in the pre-heated oven until crisp and cooked through.
- Let cool for at least 10mins before cutting into pieces. Enjoy luke-warm or cold.