A creamy bowl of slowly cooked oats and amaranth topped with sour and sweet summer berries. A healthy yet delicious and naturally sweetened breakfast. Vegan and gluten-free!
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 30m
- Serves: 2 people
- Yield: 2 full-size portions
- Category: all recipes, breakfast, Brunch, Plantbased, Summer, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons amaranth
- 250 grams (1 1/2 cups) mixed summer berries, e.g. strawberries, cherries, blueberries, etc.
- zest & juice of 1/2 organic orange
- 2 tablespoons maple sirup or runny honey
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground vanilla or tonka bean (optional)
- Place oats, amaranth grains & pinch of salt in a small casserole & add 750ml water.
- Slowly heat up porridge uncovered & let simmer for 15-20mins. Stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile wash berries & place in a saucepan. Add juice of 1/2 orange & bring to a boil. Turn off heat & add 1 tbsp maple sirup or honey. Set aside to cool off a little.
- Once the porridge starts to thicken up add almond butter, orange zest & vanilla or tonka bean, if using. Stir through & cook for another 5-10mins. Add more water one tbsp at a time, if needed. Let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Divide porridge into bowls & top with the berries. Drizzle with more maple sirup or honey, if you want.
- Note: Store in the fridge for up to 3 days & enjoy cold.
Leave a Reply